Journal #7
When you are a child, you always dream of being a professional person, for example, I want to be a doctor to help the sick. This has been one of my favorite classes because the topic motivates students to obtain a goal. Start the class by asking them Do you like to help? How would you help someone? It is good to make students aware of the importance of helping others through community work.
We analyze some types of jobs, for instance, being a firefighter, helping to put out fires or lowering cats that are trapped in tall trees. Through this exercise, they can identify their skills to help others. For this, I asked them to choose a profession and why they decided to choose it. Some students wanted to be a police officer, to lock thieves in jail; They drew themselves like cops.
And for the students to live the role of that work, I asked them to create a dialogue and to act as that community helper.
It was a very cool activity because the students lost their fear of acting and had fun. 3 groups could not present due to lack of time, but I qualified them for the effort they made and during the break, they presented me with their dialogues.
Students who speak English but with family activities must be encouraged to feel safe and motivated to work in class.
Hi Bryan, I like your pedagogy. I think that the best way to promote English is to break with traditional activities. This kind of activity helps the students to develop the speaking and listening skill while at the time they have fun.
ResponderEliminarYour classes sound very funny. I have tried these types of activities, but they have not turned out well because in my school a lot of time is wasted. I like reading your journals because they motivate me and give me ideas in this process of being a teacher.
ResponderEliminar